Social media, including blogs, are where people get most of their information about what’s going on in the world. Just think about the different events in the last few months–the Super Bowl, the Oscars, the crisis in Ukraine–that people watched unfold (some in real time) and experienced through social media, including blogs, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Google+, etc.
The speed of information–driven by social media–creates a wonderful opportunity to convey your information in a way that connects your business with your clients, promotes your services, and creates online visibility. As a small business, blogs offer a fantastic avenue for sharing information. Here’s five reasons why your business should be blogging as part of your social media strategy:
- Blogs connect people to information – People are hungry for information and ready to share that information with their families and friends. This activity is no longer something that’s projected to be a trend…it is now–and growing faster than experts imagined. Information flies around us as quickly as fingers can type it and hit “submit.” Some businesses hear this news and instantly start quaking in their boots, when they should start celebrating, photographing that celebration, and posting it to their blog! Your clients, partners, and customers are already reading blogs and sharing them through their social media connections. As a small business, you have a unique opportunity to connect directly with your customers through blogging.
- Blogging establishes you as an expert in your field – Because more people are relying on blogs for their news and information, blogging for your business can set you apart from the competition, establishing you as an expert in your field. Generate content that people find useful, entertaining, and informative; and you will gain followers who will, in turn, help to market your business and promote purchases. Blogging is an incredible tool that can help broadcast your expertise to the masses, and they will love you for it. People are more likely to support your business if you are actively blogging. It adds validity and credibility to your business website that the billions (literally BILLIONS) of Facebook users alone will respect.
- Blogging generates word-of-mouth advertising – It doesn’t take a business-savvy genius to know that the best marketing comes via word-of-mouth. One person tells another person how great your product is, and the next thing you know, the whole neighborhood wants it. Its exponential nature makes word-of-mouth advertising the most powerful variable in your marketing equation. With rising social media use, word-of-mouth advertising is easier to tap into, and spreads faster than ever before. If you’ve ever used the “share” button on Facebook, “re-Tweeted” something on Twitter, or pinned something on Pinterest, you have helped to spread the word about something that someone else created, produced, and put their hard work into. That shared, tweeted, or pinned link could be your business’s blog post or featured product that people are talking about.
- Blogging helps you gain visibility through SEO – In the Google world, fresh content is king: New and relevant content earns your website a higher spot in search engine results. Blogging for your business is crucial for being seen by your potential clients and customers. Don’t worry about being profound with every single blog post. Stick to what you know! Give people useful, concise, and (sometimes) entertaining information. Active blogging drives traffic to your website and helps fit together all the pieces of your social media puzzle.
- Blogging keeps you sharp – When you’re writing about the things that are important to you, your business, your industry, and your customers, you continue to learn and grow, too. Blogging helps you stay relevant in your industry, forcing you to stay up-to-date on industry trends. Blogging also gives you unprecedented access into the minds of your clients through feedback and comments.
The rise of social media, especially blogs, is good news for businesses! You can more efficiently and effectively control your message about your products, services, and events than ever before through blogging as part of your social media strategy.